Thursday 10 August 2017





Grammar Class-6



Each main tense is divided into 4 subcategories.
  a) simple
  b) progressive/continuous 
  c) perfect 
  d) perfect progressive/continuous 


Future Tense:

a) Future I Simple 
  • action in the future that cannot be influenced
  • spontaneous decision
  • assumption with regard to the future


Affirmative/Negative/Question


A: He will speak.
N: He will not speak. 
Q: Will he speak?

Future I Simple  (Going to)
  • decision made for the future
  • conclusion with regard to the future
A: He is going to speak.
N: He is not going to speak.
Q: Is he going to speak?

in a year, next …, tomorrow
If-Satz Typ I (If you ask her, she will help you.)
assumption: I think, probably, perhaps  (signal words)


Or,


SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE

FUNCTIONS OF THE SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE

The simple future refers to a time later than now, and expresses facts or certainty. In this case there is no 'attitude'.
The simple future is used:
  • To predict a future event:
    It will rain tomorrow.
  • With I or We, to express a spontaneous decision:
    I'll pay for the tickets by credit card.
  • To express willingness: I'll do the washing-up.
    He'll carry your bag for you.
  • In the negative form, to express unwillingness:
    The baby won't eat his soup.
    won't leave until I've seen the manager!
  • With I in the interrogative form using "shall", to make an offer:
    Shall I open the window?
  • With we in the interrogative form using "shall", to make a suggestion:
    Shall we go to the cinema tonight?
  • With I in the interrogative form using "shall", to ask for advice or instructions:
    What shall I tell the boss about this money?
  • With you, to give orders:
    You will do exactly as I say.
  • With you in the interrogative form, to give an invitation:
    Will you come to the dance with me?
    Will you marry me?
Note:In modern English will is preferred to shall. Shall is mainly used with I and we to make an offer or suggestion, or to ask for advice (see examples above). With the other persons (you, he, she, they) shall is only used in literary or poetic situations, e.g. "With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, She shall have music wherever she goes."

FORMING THE SIMPLE FUTURE

The simple future tense is composed of two parts: will / shall + the infinitive without to
Subjectwillinfinitive without to
Affirmative
Iwillgo
Ishallgo
Negative
Theywill notsee
Theywon'tsee
Interrogative
Willsheask?
Interrogative negative
Won'ttheytry?
CONTRACTIONS
I will = I'll
We will = we'll
You will = you'll
He will = he'll
She will = she'll
They will = they'll
Will not = won't
The form "it will" is not normally shortened.

TO SEE: SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE

AffirmativeNegativeInterrogativeInterrogative Negative
I will seeI won't seeWill I see?Won't I see?
*I shall see *Shall I see? 
You will seeYou won't seeWill you see?Won't you see?
He will seeHe won't seeWill he see?Won't he see?
We will seeWe won't seeWill we see?Won't we see?
*We shall see *Shall we see? 
They will seeThey won't seeWill they see?Won't they see?




b) Future Progressive/Continuous
  • FUTURE CONTINUOUS

    FORM

    The future continuous is made up of two elements:
    the simple future of the verb 'to be' + the present participle (base+ing)
    Subjectsimple future of the verb 'to be'present participle
    Youwill bewatching
    Iwill bestaying
    TO STAY, FUTURE CONTINUOUS
    AffirmativeNegativeInterrogativeNegative Interrogative
    I will be staying.I won't be staying.Will I be staying?Won't I be staying?
    You will be staying.You won't be staying.Will you be staying?Won't you be staying?
    He will be staying.He won't be staying.Will he be staying?Won't he be staying?
    She will be staying.She won't be staying.Will she be staying?Won't she be staying?
    It will be staying.It won't be staying.Will it be staying?Won't it be staying?
    We will be staying.We won't be staying.Will we be staying?Won't we be staying?
    They will be staying.They won't be staying.Will they be staying?Won't they be staying?

    FUNCTIONS

    The future continuous refers to an unfinished action or event that will be in progress at a time later than now. The future continuous is used for quite a few different purposes.
    The future continuous can be used to project ourselves into the future.
    EXAMPLES
    • This time next week I will be sun-bathing in Bali.
    • By Christmas I will be skiing like a pro.
    • Just think, next Monday you will be working in your new job.
    The future continuous can be used for predicting or guessing about future events.
    EXAMPLES
    • He'll be coming to the meeting, I expect.
    • I guess you'll be feeling thirsty after working in the sun.
    • You'll be missing the sunshine once you're back in England.
    In the interrogative form, the future continuous can be used to ask politely for information about the future.
    EXAMPLES
    • Will you be bringing your friend to the pub tonight?
    • Will Jim be coming with us?
    • Will she be going to the party tonight?
    • Will I be sleeping in this room?
    The future continuous can be used to refer to continuous events that we expect to happen in the future.
    EXAMPLES
    • I'll be seeing Jim at the conference next week.
    • When he is in Australia he will be staying with friends.
    • I'll be eating with Jane this evening so I can tell her.
    When combined with still, the future continuous refers to events that are already happening now and that we expect to continue some time into the future.
    EXAMPLES
    • In an hour I'll still be ironing my clothes.
    • Tomorrow he'll still be suffering from his cold.
    • Next year will she still be wearing a size six?
    • Won't stock prices still be falling in the morning?
    • Unfortunately, sea levels will still be rising in 20 years.

c) Future Perfect
  • FUTURE PERFECT

    FORM

    The future perfect is composed of two elements
    the simple future of the verb "to have" (will have) + the past participle of the main verb
    Subject+ will have+ past participle of the main verb
    Hewill havefinished.
    Iwill havefinished.
    TO ARRIVE, FUTURE PERFECT TENSE
    AffirmativeNegativeInterrogativeNegative Interrogative
    I will have arrivedI won't have arrivedWill I have arrived?Won't I have arrived?
    You will have arrivedYou won't have arrivedWill you have arrived?Won't you have arrived?
    He will have arrivedHe won't have arrivedWill he have arrived?Won't he have arrived?
    We will have arrivedWe won't have arrivedWill we have arrived?Won't we have arrived?
    They will have arrivedThey won't have arrivedWill they have arrived?Won't they have arrived?

    FUNCTION

    The future perfect tense refers to a completed action in the future. When we use this tense we are projecting ourselves forward into the future and looking back at an action that will be completed some time later than now. It is most often used with a time expression.
    EXAMPLES
    • I will have been here for six months on June 23rd.
    • By the time you read this I will have left.
    • You will have finished your report by this time next week.
    • Won't they have arrived by 5:00?
    • Will you have eaten when I pick you up?


d) Future Perfect Progressive
  • FUTURE PERFECT CONTINUOUS

    FORM

    The future perfect continuous is composed of two elements
    the future perfect of the verb "to be" (will have been) + the present participle of the main verb (base + ing)
    Subject+ will have been+ present participle
    Hewill have beenplaying.
    Iwill have beenplaying.
    TO LIVE, FUTURE PERFECT CONTINUOUS TENSE
    AffirmativeNegativeInterrogativeNegative Interrogative
    I will have been livingI won't have been livingWill I have been living?Won't I have been living?
    You will have been livingYou won't have been livingWill you have been living?Won't you have been living?
    He will have been livingHe won't have been livingWill he have been living?Won't he have been living?
    We will have been livingWe won't have been livingWill we have been living?Won't we have been living?
    They will have been livingThey won't have been livingWill they have been living?Won't they have been living?

    FUNCTION

    Like the future perfect simple, this form is used to project ourselves forward in time and to look back. It refers to events or actions in a time between now and some future time are unfinished. It is most often used with a time expression.
    EXAMPLES
    • I will have been waiting here for three hours by six o'clock.
    • By 2001 I will have been living in London for sixteen years.
    • When I finish this course, I will have been learning English for twenty years.
    • Next year I will have been working here for four years.
    • When I come at 6:00, will you have been practicing long?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weather Related Words: 1) Flurries: very light snowfall E.g.  There are a few flurries but the snow is not sticking to the roads. ...