Wednesday 15 March 2017

"English for going to the movies"


In this lesson, we are going to learn what to say when you are going to the movies.


When a new film is released, you can inquire by asking in the following manner: 
“When is the release date or premiere of ‘Movie Name’?”
“When is the next show?”
“When does the next movie start?”
“How many tickets would you like?” 
“Where would you like to sit?”
“How much is it?”
“We would like to sit in row D, seats 10 to 13”
“Where can I buy popcorn and coke?”
“I’d like a medium (box of) popcorn and a large orange juice.
“I’d like a small coke and a box of chocolates”
“Excuse me”
“Which cinema is it showing at?”
“How do I get there?”
When you arrive at the ticket office, you’ll be asked:
“Which movie would you like to see? 
Which show time?”
Or,
You may also ask the salesperson directly:
“May I have 2 tickets for the 3 o’clock show of ‘Movie Name'”, please?
At the service counter, you can ask:
Many cinemas offer a range of soft drinks and flavorings for popcorn: from salt and spices to butter, honey and sugar; even caramel-coated! The biggest choice is size. Don’t forget measure words, using adjectives like ‘small, medium or large’ etc. 

The Supreme Court ordered all cinema halls across the country to play the "National Anthem" before the screening of films and that all present must "stand up in respect" till the anthem ended. It said the practice would "instill a feeling within one a sense of committed patriotism and nationalism." So, while at cinema hall for watching a movie, you must stand up when the "National Anthem" played before the screening of the film.

When asking a friend for a movie, you might ask:

You: Hey, Priyanka, do you want to see a movie today after college?
Priyanka: Sure, what movies do you want to see?
You: I am not sure. What movies are released now or, what movies are out now?
Priyanka: They are showing "Movie name" & " Movie name" at 5.30pm.
You: Let's go see "movie name".
Priyanka: Okay! I will meet you after college.

When asking a group of friends for a movie, you might ask:
You: Do you all want to go to the movies this weekend?
Priyanka: Sure! Let's go see "movie name".
Radhika: Sorry, I can't come. I have some urgent work to do.
You: We are going on Saturday Radhika. Try to come, please.
Radhika: Okay, I will try.
Priyanka: Great! Let us know by Friday.

On a Date:
You: Hi, Radhika what are you doing this weekend?
Radhika: Not much. What are you doing?
You: I wanted to know if you would like to go to the movies with me this weekend.
Radhika: That sounds nice. What kind of movie?
You: Do you like Romantic movies or Comedies?
Radhika: Neither. I like Action movies. Can we see "movie name"
You: Sure, I love action movies. I will pick you up at 4.30 pm.

While buying tickets:
You: Hello, may I have two tickets to see the "movie name", please?
Salesperson: Yes. what time would you like the tickets for?
You: When is the next show time?
Salesperson: The next show time is at 5.30 pm.
You: I would like two tickets for the 5.30 pm movie then.
Salesperson: Your total will be Rs.600/- ma'am.
You: Here you go.
Salesperson: Thank you, ma'am. Here's your change and enjoy the show.

Or, while buying tickets you can also ask:
You: I would like to buy 3 tickets for the 3.30 pm "movie name", please.
Salesperson: Yes, ma'am. Is there anything else?
You: How much are tickets for adults and children?
Salesperson: Children's tickets are Rs.100/- each and Adults are Rs.200/- each.
You: Then I would like two children's ticket and two adult tickets. Here is Rs.600/-


Salesperson: Thank you. Enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weather Related Words: 1) Flurries: very light snowfall E.g.  There are a few flurries but the snow is not sticking to the roads. ...