Friday 10 March 2017

Spoken English


Part 1:


Today we are going to learn about different kinds of conversations, i.e. Greetings, Introductions, and Invitations, 

Some common English conversations or conversation starters:

“Hello!”
“Hi!”
“How are you?”
“What’s your name?”
“Where are you from?”
“Nice to meet you”
“I am fine”
“My name is Gopal (say your name)”
“I am from Delhi”
“Nice to meet you too”
“Would you like to join me for dinner?”
“Yes, thank you”
“I would love to, thank you”.
“Thank you”
“So nice you”


Examples:

While you greet one another you can say, "Hi" or "Hello"

While at a meeting in Office or classroom you can say, “Good Morning” or “Good afternoon” or “Good evening”.


 The best ways to introduce yourself, "Hello! I am Trupti (tell your name) or "I am Trupti".

While introducing your friend or colleague you can say, “Meet my friend Harish” or  “This is my friend my Harish" and while introducing a colleague you can say, “I would like to introduce my colleague Mr. Madhav”. He’s with the PR department.

To start the conversation politely, you can ask, “How are you?” or “How have you been?” or “How are you doing?"

The responses could be, “Good, thank you and you?" or “Fine, thank you and you?" or “Very well, thank you and you?"


After meeting or after being introduced you can say, “Pleased to meet you” or “Nice meeting you” or “It’s a pleasure meeting you.

The other person can say “Pleased to meet you too” or “Nice meeting you too”.

How to accept and decline invitations:

While inviting people, you can say, “Come in and sit down, please.”

If inviting a colleague, you can say “Would you like to join me for a cup of coffee?"
or “May I take you out for a lunch”?

If you are accepting the invitation you can say, “Yes, thank you” or “I would love to, thank you”.
If declining the invitation you can say politely, “That’s very nice of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Weather Related Words: 1) Flurries: very light snowfall E.g.  There are a few flurries but the snow is not sticking to the roads. ...